James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies
Director, East Asia Nonproliferation Program
New America Foundation
Director, Nuclear Strategy and Nonproliferation Initiative
John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
Executive Director, Project on Managing the Atom
Center for International Security Studies at Maryland
Graduate Research Fellow
Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs
Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy
Center for Strategic and International Studies
Visiting Fellow, Science and Technology Program
Research Associate, International Security Program
School of Public Policy, University of Maryland
Ph.D. Public Policy
USDA Graduate School
Mandarin Chinese Language Courses
B.A. Philosophy and Political Science, Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Arms Control Wonk.com, Founding Publisher
Foreign Policy.com, Columnist
Books and Monographs
- Paper Tigers: China’s Nuclear Posture (London, UK: International Institute of Strategic Studies, 2014).
- A Place for One’s Mat: China’s Space Program, 1956-2003 (with Gregory Kulacki), American Academy of Arts and Sciences Occasional Paper (July 2009).
- The Minimum Means of Reprisal: China’s Search for Security in the Nuclear Age (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2007).
- “China’s Nuclear Modernization: Surprise, Restraint, and Uncertainty” in Strategic Asia 2013-2014 (National Bureau of Research, October 2014).
- “Challenges for US-China Strategic Stability,” in Getting to Zero, Catherine Kelleher and Judith Reppy, ed. (Palo Alto, California: Stanford University Press 2011).
- “Chinese Perspectives on Strategic Arms Control” in Die Zukunft der Rustungskontrolle, Götz Neuneck, ed. (Baden-Baden, Germany: Nomos 2005).
- “Maintaining Stable Deterrence with Russia and China,” Testimony before the Subcommittee on Strategic Forces, Committee on Armed Services of the U.S. House of Representatives, October 14, 2011
Selected Other Publications
- "Huis Clos: The Limits of Understanding North Korean Decision-making,
- " Asia Policy, No.13 (January 2012), pp. 171-174. “The Proliferation Security Initiative” (with Philip Maxon), Disarmament Forum, No. 2 (2010) pp. 35-43.
- “Chinese Nuclear Forces and Modernization,” The Nonproliferation Review 16:2 (July 2009) pp. 197- 209.
- “Understanding China’s Anti-satellite Test” (with Gregory Kulacki), The Nonproliferation Review 15:2 (July 2008) pp. 335-347.
- “Regional Restraint: The Uses of Nuclear Weapons-Free Zones,” Jane’s Intelligence Review, Vol. 22 No. 2 (February 2010), pp. 48-53.
- “How Should the U.S. Handle North Korea?,” The Washington Times, May 3, 2009.
- “Minimum Deterrence,” Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, July/August 2008.
- “Gas Centrifuges and the Future of the Nonproliferation Regime,” Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, January/February 2007.
- “Bomb in the Backyard,” (with Peter D. Zimmerman), Foreign Policy, November/December 2006.
- “Ambiguous Arsenal: China’s Nuclear Arsenal and Doctrine,” Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, May/June 2005.
- “The Dark Legacy of the Cold War” (with John Steinbruner), Daedalus, Autumn 2002.